Exercise your Civic Responsibility and Prepare to Vote!
The Education & Training Committee wants to send a couple reminders out about the upcoming election! Exercise your Constitutional right by voting in your local and national elections! Important local and national elections will take place on November 6, 2012.
If you will be out of town on November 6th, vote early by Absentee Ballot! Requests are due by Oct 30. Click here to find directions for filing your Absentee Ballot: http://elections.state.md.us/voting/absentee.html You can also choose to vote early if you wish to avoid lines or have a busy day on November 6.
How to prepare for the elections: You can visit http://elections.state.md.us/ to see a list of the candidates for each position, and to learn about the statewide ballot questions. You should also have received your model ballot in the mail, which includes additional information on some of the sections. We encourage you to take some time to learn about the candidates and the issues, so that you can come into the voting booth prepared. There are seven statewide ballot questions this year, which are:
- Question 1 – Constitutional Amendment – Qualifications for Prince George’s County Orphans’ Court Judges
- Question 2 – Constitutional Amendment – Qualifications for Baltimore County Orphans’ Court Judges
- Question 3 – Constitutional Amendment – Suspension and Removal of Elected Officials
- Question 4 – Referendum Petition – Public Institutions of Higher Education – Tuition Rates
- Question 5 – Referendum Petition – Congressional Districting Plan
- Question 6 – Referendum Petition – Civil Marriage Protection Act
- Question 7 – Gaming Expansion Referendum – Gaming Expansion
To read the full questions and to learn more, please visit: http://www.elections.state.md.us/elections/2012/ballot_questions.html