Kathy Lee Sterritt,
260 Total Members (143 Actives, 117 Sustainers)
2nd year of 5 year Strategic Plan
Goal 1: Increase member awareness and knowledge of JLA structure and AJLI.
- Provisionals were instructed on the organizational structure of JLA including council system, straw ballot process, AJLI.
- Revised Bylaws and Policies and Procedures. Apprised members.
- Provisional Class Training – mentioned above
- GMM Training – Effective Committee Membership, Conflict Resolution, and Public Speaking.
- Leadership Training – Sessions held in coordination with President-Elect.
- Conferences open to Membership – Mid-Atlantic Leadership Conference, Organizational Development Institute, LAMW Seminar, and League of Women Voters Seminar.
- Difficult getting Sustainer involvement with a mentoring program.
- KIVA and Emergency Baby pantry addressed the membership with their issues.
Goal 2: Increase community visibility and awareness.
- Held two Community Advisory Board (CAB) meetings to receive input on our Strategic Plan, moving our headquarters and community needs, as well as our projects we presented to the membership.
- Held Community Roundtable on Family Issues with a 30% increase in attendance.
- Year round publicity done. JLA brochure begun as well as work on an Annual Report.
- Participated in Anne Arundel County Volunteer day with KIVA kids.
- Members sat on three new boards: Volunteer Center, LAMW, and the Women’s Alliance of Maryland as well as remaining on the Anne Arundel Council of Community Services. Joined the Annapolis Chamber of Commerce.
- Community leaders who participated in our events include: Diane Evans-Roundtable, Kathleen Kennedy Townsend-JLM Day, and Joanne Saltzburg-GMM Meeting.
- Invited membership to KIVA to help with a program.
- Membership was asked to help Emergency Baby pantry with solicitations and with coupons.
- Bookbag project continued.
- Held successful JLM day.
- Emergency Baby Pantry helped more than 1,200 needy Anne Arundel County children and collected over $40,000 in donations and cash.
- KIVA initiated a USNA Midshipman tutoring program and continued the dedicated task of working with troubled teens.
- Community Awards.
- Scholarships for Scholars, $1,500.
- Community Assistance Donations, $4,000 to: Love and Action, Hospice for the Chesapeake, Interfaith Care Givers, and EXCEL Housing Foundation.
- Excellence in Volunteerism, $500 to: Ruth Jones of the Allen Tenant Association.
Goal 3: Increase Membership Diversity and Retention by at Least 20% per year.
- Flextime status approved to give members more flexibility.
- Socials were held monthly for membership to network.
- Membership accountability issue addressed.
- President attended networking session of the Anne Arundel Council of Community Service, Chesapeake Children’s Museum and Volunteer Center.
- Greeters were stationed by the doors of our GMM meetings to ease the unfamiliarity of anyone coming to these meetings.
- 32 new actives received.
Goal 4: Plan and Implement a JLA Signature Project.
- Survey showed membership not ready for Signature Project.
- Kids on the Block project revitalized.
Goal 5: Increase Financial Strength
- Solicited membership through the mail for monetary donation to the Endowment Fund. Donations totaled $165.
- $11,500 / $13,635 solicited for JLA sponsored projects from corporate, foundations and grants.
- 3 Major fundraisers.
- Carousel/Preview Party, $20,485.28
- Fall Fund Raiser. $8,180.00
- Cookbook, $70,185.15
- $5,500 / $13,635 government support for projects.
AJLI passed External Policy resolution on Early Detection and Prevention on Breast and Cervical Cancer.
Moved to new headquarters with the help of a Headquarters Ad Hoc Committee. They researched thoroughly and also staying at present site.
Timeline initiated so entire League would know big picture of events.
Bookkeeper hired to assist Treasurer.