As we conclude yet another challenging year, the Junior League of Annapolis has a lot to be proud of. In the first 6 months of the 2021-2022 league year, we have
- Kicked off the league year with the Inaugural JLA Summer Picnic – our first in-person league wide event since the covid pandemic started.
- Supported local families of Tyler Heights Elementary School with a hat & glove drive and many other DIAD events.
- Launched the JLA Book Club – bringing titles to deepen our personal, professional and social development.
- Established JLA’s First Virtual Holiday Market.
- Supported training and development by sponsoring league members to AJLI’s Centennial Summit, Webinar Wednesdays, and looking forward to sponsoring additional members to the January 2022 Winter Leadership Conference.
- Welcomed 18 women into our current provisional class.
- Engaged with members through picnics, cooking classes, coffee dates, the Art of Wine Social, Midnight Madness Socials, and more!
- Raised over $7500 to support JLA’s mission – one of JLA’s most successful Giving Day events!
- Initiated revisions to the JLA Strategic Plan – ultimately planning the strategic direction of the league for the next 5 years.
We are ending 2021 on a high note; and, very excited to kick off 2022 – the year that we commemorate JLA’s 40th Anniversary! Oh what a high time it will be!
Brene Brown reminds us of “I now see how owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.”
To that end, I encourage each of you to take some personal time to pause and reflect. Reflect on how you’ve earnestly triumphed through the year, and bravely faced the many challenges thrown our way – personally, professionally, or within the league. Reflect on how you can be more deliberate in taking care of your well being through activities that restore and replenish you. While we have accomplished quite a bit as a league; YOU deserve the celebration and restoration.
With the covid pandemic continuing to plague our communities, our first order of business is to be safe and take care of each other. Throughout the month of January, we should continue to take advantage of virtual event options for meetings, events, socials, etc. We have a JLA Zoom account, available to all members/committees for league business, with reservations granted in order of request. Please contact our Communications Council for access info. Our goal is to continue learning, leading in service and celebrating the legacy and the longevity of our League. Please reach out with questions, concerns, suggestions, or ideas as we move forward. The legacy of the League is best exemplified in the collaboration of its members – whether active or sustaining.
As we wrap up the last couple days of the year, I want to thank each and every one of you for making The Junior League of Annapolis what it is today. We have accomplished so much this year and I am looking forward to kicking off another year together. Happy New Year!
Yours in Service,
Calandra Dixon Layne
JLA President 2020-2022